Monday, August 6, 2012

Quilts for Twins

I just finished these two quilts for a set of twins.
The one on the left is for the girl, the one on the right is for the boy.
The room colors their aunt gave me were green and brown. She wanted the quilts to be similair, but different. I made them with the same fabric, but went with different patterns.
The quilt on the left is a "fair in square" pattern with a small sashing between the blocks. I have been wanting to make the quilt on the right for a while. It is a rail fence variation. This version normally only has two colors, but I have seen it done the way I did it with three.

Of course they also wanted elephants to go along with the quilts!!
I still love making these little guys.

I taught my sister Maggie how two make one a while ago, she did a great job and donated it to a silent auction at a autism awareness day. It sold for $50! Wow! I normally sell mine for $10 
I outline quilted both quilts. Outline quilting is my favorite way to quilt, and my favorite quilting look.
I only outline quilt baby quilts because they are small and easy. Any quilt bigger then a lap quilt, I do on my long arm machine.
I also made a set of blocks to go with the quilts. No ribbons this time. Instead, to add interest I used different fabrics for texture. My favorite to use was a thick brown corderoy with lots of "bumps"
I also added a lot more color into the blocks. And used more themed prints e.i. the monkey print, jungle print, and fussy cut animals. 

Both aunt (who ordered them) and parents liked the quilts!
One of their favorite parts was the hand embrodered name tags on the back(not pictured).

After their aunt saw these quilts, she orderend another one for her nephew.
All I have to do is put the border on and the top with be finished.
Until next time
Anna 

No comments:

Post a Comment